Carrot Ginger Soup
This soup is a favorite at my house. Fall is a great time to make this soup cold summer afternoon, and this warm soup is just the perfect afternoon. Our vegetable garden has turned out, and this soup is both a callback celebration to the end of summer as well as the start of fall, my favorite season.
The carrot is the main ingredient in this easy recipe, along with a few staples that you likely already have in your kitchen. Adding the turmeric brings a nice boost of flavor to this super-simple, delicious vegetarian soup that's not too thick.
There are versions of the soup with coconut cream and cashew cream, but I like this simple version. This easy soup recipe is just a few ingredients, and it's so simple and delicious with no cream, no cashew cream, and no coconut cream (ok just a tad for garnish, but it's not necessary). The creamy base of the soup comes purely from the pureed carrots.
The thickness of the soup can be adjusted with the amount of water you add to the blending process. You can serve this soup with a salad or grilled cheese sandwich for a quick and easy lunch.
4-5 cups water or vegetable broth
3 heaping cups of shopped carrots
1 cup chopped yellow onions
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
Salt to taste
1/4 tea spoon black pepper
1/4 tea spoon turmeric
1/4 tea spoon red chili powder
Parsley sprigs , pesto or cocnut cream for garnish
1. In a large pot pan over medium-high heat, add water, carrots, onion, ginger, smashed garlic, and salt.
2. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender.
4. Fill the blender halfway and blend in batches.
5. Be careful of the hot liquid; puree until smooth.
6. Heat the vegan butter in a large pot over low heat( like earth balance -soy-free) in a pan.
7. When the butter is hot, add turmeric and chilly red powder and the smooth soup from the blender.
8. Bring the soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste then ( add 1-2 cups of broth- optional ), depending on your desired consistency.
9. Ladle into bowls and garnish with olive oil and parsley sprigs.
10. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and a dollop of pesto, if desired.
September 30, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup - INSTANT POT January 8, 2018 I love making this soup because I can put everything in the slow cooker and walk away to run some errands and come back home to a warm, delicious smell…
- Vegan Coconut soup - Tom Kha Gai January 26, 2018 Authentic Tom Kha Gai – a simple delicious recipe for one of Thailand’s most popular soups! Full of fragrant Thai ingredients like lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, and galanga root,…
- Black Bean Soup March 20, 2018 Simple and satisfying , and this black bean soup is super easy to put together . Black beans are full of protein, fiber and folate making them an excellent choice…