Tofu with Saffron Coconut Yogurt Curry
Tofu is one of the most common protein source for vegans. This recipe uses the traditional way of making curries with yogurt but instead of using dairy yogurt, I have used coconut yogurt. In this curry I have used So Delicious brand of unsweetened coconut yogurt .
This recipe can be served along with home made wheat vegan naan or with rice.
16 oz. of firm or extra firm organic tofu
1 cup unsweetened yogurt ( whisked until smooth )
1/4 tea spoon red chilly powder
1/4 tea spoon saffron
1 tea spoon salt
1 tea spoon ground coriander
1 tea spoon cumin seeds
2 -3 cloves of garlic peeled, grated
1/2 tea spoon ginger grated
1/4 finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup water
2 tea spoons cornstarch
1. Take the tofu out of the package and gently squeeze the water out and cut it into 1/2 inch thick squares.
2. In a large bowl mix together the coconut yogurt and saffron and let it sit for 20 min.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, chili powder and salt to the yogurt mixture . Add the tofu pieces and mix well.
4, Cover and marinate for an hour.
5. Heat 2 table spoons oil in a non stick skillet or a wok over medium high heat .Swirl to coat the pan with oil evenly.
6. Add the tofu to the pan and spread it into a single layer. Cook without stirring for about 1 minute, so the bottoms begin to light brown.
7. Stir-fry the tofu 1 more minute: Sprinkle the tofu with the salt, then stir-fry, moving the tofu quickly but gently around the pan. Don't worry if some of the tofu crumbles — this is normal.
8. Transfer the tofu to a serving dish and keep warm.
9. Mix together water and cornstarch and stir it in the marinade left sticking in the pan.
10. In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat and then add cumin seeds ( they should sizzle on contact).
11. Quickly mix in the coriander and the cornstarch mixture and bring it to a quick boil over high heat .
12. The sauce should thicken immediately. Reduce the heat toss in the tofu, give it a good mix and put it in the serving dish.
13. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
September 30, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Vegan chickpea dumplings in coconut yogurt curry - Gatta… October 3, 2018 A very popular dish in north Indian menu is Gatta Curry. This dish truly takes me back home to Rajasthan and it is quite a favorite with my family here…
- Chickpea Flour Tofu Curry - Burmese Tofu Curry August 21, 2019 Recently my friend asked me if I knew what chickpea flour tofu was, and the name reminded me of a traditional Rajasthani dish called Pitor Ki Sabzi . It is a conventional…
- Spinach Tofu - Palak Tofu October 22, 2020 I can eat spinach any which way- raw in salads or cooked in creamy curries. You can make it make this dish for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion.