Lentil Vegetable Pie !!
Lentils provide the body with complete vegetable protein. I love this dish because it is nutritious as well as satisfying. I like to serve it with cilantro chutney and little vegan butter on top. Personally, I want to eat it in the afternoon with a cup of Indian spiced vegan chai. The recipe for chutney and chai is following soon.
If you don't have a cast-iron pan, use a pyrex or similar baking dish lined with parchment paper. I used a 13*9 size and baked it for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
This recipe might seem a bit of work as lentils need to be soaked and blended, but believe me, it is worth it. Enjoy!!
1 cup red lentil soaked overnight or 5 hours in warm water
1 cup yellow mung lentil soaked overnight or 5 hours in warm water
2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
2 small green chille minced
1 cup grated carrots
2 medium zucchini grated
2 cups grated red cabbage ( about half a head )
I cup frozen spinach
2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint ( optional )
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice .
2 teaspoon salt (taste the batter to adjust this to your liking ).
1 teaspoon black pepper
I teaspoon dried red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1. Mix the lentils and wash them well. My general rule with washing any lentils is to wash them until the water runs clear. Put 4 cups of water and soak them overnight or for 4 hours if soaked in warm water.
2. Wash the soaked lentils, place them in a food processor or blender, and add two tablespoons of water. Watch the batter. It should be medium thick and add water slowly as needed.
3. Fold ginger, carrots, zucchini, red cabbage, spinach, cilantro, and mint.
4. Add salt, black pepper, red chile powder, turmeric, and lime juice.
5. Taste the batter and make sure salt and pepper are according to your taste buds.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Heat a well seasoned 12 inches cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Generously brush the pan surface and sides with olive oil and pour the batter. It should be a little over 1 inch deep.
8. Cook the pie uncovered for 5 -7 minutes until the edges of the pie become crusty and separate from the pan.
9. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F . Then brush the pie surface with olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the top forms an attractive golden crust.
10. Remove the pie from the oven, let it cool down, firm up for 10 minutes, then cut into 8-10 pieces.
11. Serve with chutney; my kids also like it with spicy ketchup.
September 30, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup - INSTANT POT January 8, 2018 I love making this soup because I can put everything in the slow cooker and walk away to run some errands and come back home to a warm, delicious smell…
- Savory Lentil cupcakes !! Gujarati Handvo cupcake remix. April 1, 2020 These savory lentil cupcakes are probably the most healthy recipe I have worked on. It is a modern twist to a traditional handhvo / Gujarati lentil cake recipe.
- Gujarati Dal - Sweet spicy lentil soup May 11, 2021 This dal is one of those lentil recipes that I make many times as we simply love it in our house especially my daughter. Give her a bowl of this piping hot…