Lentil Vegetable Pie !!
Lentils provide the body with complete vegetable protein. I love this dish because it is nutritious as well as satisfying. I like to serve it with cilantro chutney and little vegan butter on top. Personally I Iike to eat it in the afternoon with a cup of Indian spiced vegan chai. The recipie for chutney and chai is following soon .
If you don't have a cast iron pan , use a pyrex or similar baking dish lined with parchment paper. I used a 13*9 dish and baked it for 35 minutes at 350 degree .
This recipe might seem a little bit of work as lentils need to be soaked and blended but believe me it is worth the work. Enjoy!!
1 cup red lentil soaked overnight or 5 hours in warm water
1 cup yellow mung lentil soaked overnight or 5 hours in warm water
2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
2 small green chille minced
1 cup grated carrots
2 medium zucchini grated
2 cups grated red cabbage ( about half a head )
I cup frozen spinach
2 table spoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint ( optional )
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice .
2 tea spoon salt (taste the batter to adjust this to your liking ).
1 teaspoon black pepper
I teaspoon dried red chile powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1. Mix the lentils together and wash then well . My general rule with washing any lentils is to wash them until the water runs clear . Put 4 cups of water and soak them overnight or for 4 hours if soaked in warm water .
2. Wash the soaked lentils and place them in a food processor or any blender and add 2 tablespoons of water. Watch the batter it should be medium thick and add water slowly as needed .
3. Fold in ginger ,carrots, zucchini, red cabbage, spinach, cilantro and mint .
4. Add salt , black pepper, red chile powder, turmeric and lime juice .
5. Taste the batter and make sure salt and pepper is according to your taste buds .
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
7. Heat a well seasoned 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Generously brush the pan surface and sides with olive oil and pour the batter . It should be a a little over 1 inches deep .
8 . Cook the pie uncovered for 5 -7 minutes until the edges of the pie become crusty and separate from the pan .
9. Tranfer the skilllet to the oven and bake for 20 min at 350 degree F . Then brush the pie surface with olive oil and bake for another 10 min or until the top forms an attractive golden crust .
10. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool down and firm up for 10 min ,then cut into 8-10 pieces.
11. Serve with chutney , my kids also like it with a spicy kethup .
November 16, 2020
October 22, 2020
October 14, 2020
October 13, 2020
You May Also Like
- Slow Cooker Quinoa Vegetable Soup January 8, 2018 I love making this soup because I can put everything in the slow cooker and walk away to run some errands and come back home to a warm delicious smell…
- Savory Lentil cupcakes !! Gujrati Handvo cupcake remix. April 1, 2020 These savory lentil cupcakes are probably the most healthy recipe I have worked on.It is a modern twist to a traditional handhvo / gujrati lentil cake recipe .
- Mung Dal and Pea Protein Vegetable Burger August 11, 2020 Protein burger