Vegan Black bean soup
I hope you love this soup as much as my family !!! Simple and satisfying, this black bean soup is super easy to put together.
How healthy are black beans?
Black beans are packed with protein, making them an excellent option if you try to consume less meat in your diet. They also contain fiber, which promotes digestive and cardiovascular health, and potassium, which reduces blood pressure. Check out these other protein-rich foods.
How do you thicken black bean soup?
Pureeing or mashing one can of the black beans in this recipe helps thicken the soup’s texture. If you would like your soup even thicker, you can remove some of the soup into a separate bowl and whisk in a bit of flour or cornstarch. Return the mixture to the pot of soup and stir to thicken.
It is one of those feel-good soups that are reasonably simple and satisfying to put together.
I have made this soup with canned beans and dry, and I usually keep the beans ready in my freezer.
Here is my once-a-month process for all my beans - I soak black beans, garbanzo, and kidney beans separately in a mixing bowl with thrice water FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS.
So usually do this at night, so I can wash and pressure cook in an instant pot in the morning.
It takes a little planning, but It helps with weekday meal prep to have these beans ready and available in the freezer, homemade and without additives.
Once I do this, I am set for at least two weeks. I have the beans ready in my freezer for any recipe on a busy day.
2 cans black beans or 4 cups prepared black beans
1 medium onion chopped fine
2 teaspoon spoon fresh grated garlic
2 teaspoon spoon fresh grated ginger
3 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon
1 green chilly
2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chilly powder
2 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
2 tablespoon chat masala
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon oil
1 . Heat the oil on medium heat in a pan and sauté onion, garlic, and ginger for 4 -5 min.
2 . Reduce the heat - Add the dry spices - green chilies, and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute and mix everything well. Add 1 cup of warm water.
3 . Now mix in the beans; wash them well to remove the preservatives if using canned. Take a spoon and mash some beans with it (about half of them )in the pan itself.
4 . Add the vegetable broth, salt, and pepper to taste. You can add an extra cup of vegetable broth if you like the soup a little less thick.
5 . Let it boil for 10 min on medium-high heat.
- Payal Chatterjee on Chickpea Flour Tofu Curry – Burmese Tofu Curry: “I tried this recipe, but substituted cashews with peanuts, worked pretty well! It was yummy, will surely make it again…” Aug 12, 01:17
- Neha's Vegan Kitchen on Aloo Paratha – Gluten free: “Hi Shruti, you can replace the gum with Psyllium Husk but watch the water. The dough tends to be a…” Jan 19, 12:53
- Shruti on Aloo Paratha – Gluten free: “Hey Neha, thanks for sharing this recipe. I had been craving for aloo paranthas. Can I replace xantham gum with…” Jan 3, 00:35
Creamy vegan Alfredo sauce - served with gluten free pasta
September 30, 2021
Vegan Vegetable Biryani
September 29, 2021
CHOCOLATE CAKE - best ever vegan and gluten free cake
September 2, 2021
Besan ladoos - Classic Indian Dessert
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Mung Dal - Yellow Split Bean Soup in an Instant Pot April 17, 2018 I love Dal , Indian lentil soup . I often experiment with different flavors to keep it fresh an interesting in the Kitchen .The basic Mung dal is often eaten…
- Black eye peas curry -chawli - Lobia sabji November 16, 2020 This is perfect for a middle of the week dinner when I am bored eating the many vegetables. This curry is cooked in a spicy onion tomato gravy, and I am sure you will make…
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup - INSTANT POT January 8, 2018 I love making this soup because I can put everything in the slow cooker and walk away to run some errands and come back home to a warm, delicious smell…