Masala Okra- Bhindi tamatar sabji
The Bhindi Masala Recipe is a simple and quick recipe that you can make in a jiffy for a weeknight dinner. All you need is Bhindi (Okra/lady's finger), tomatoes and a few basic spices.The Bhindi and chopped tomatoes are first cooked seperately and then combined once the bhindi is three-fourths cooked.
Okra stir fry !! One-off my favorite vegetables ,I have fond memories of my mom’s bhindi sabji ( okra ) . She used to make it for us to take it to school for lunch .Okra wrapped in a simple wheat paratha .... it takes me back to wonderful lunches at school !! Wonderful memories ❤️❤️.
How to Make Okra / Bhindi Less Slimy
If you cook Okra /bhindi often, then you are well aware about this problem – the sliminess!
Wash and pat dry the okra before chopping. If you try to cut the okra without pat drying it will be very slimy.
I usually wash it and then put all the okra on a paper towel (in single layer) and let them dry for some time and then pat dry each okra with a paper towel.
If you can plan in advance, it would be good to wash the okra and then let it air dry for few hours. That way you wouldn’t need to pat dry each bhindi separately.
Roti ,dal ,bhindi masala and rice = pure comfort food for me! I can pretty much have this combination for the rest of my life. Enjoy !!
2 Tomatoes ,finely chopped
3 -4 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)2 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
Salt , to taste
2 tbsp Mango Powder (Amchoor Powder )
pinch Garam masala
1-Wash okra and dry it with paper towels.
2-Trim the rough tops and skinny bottom tips off the okra pods, and cut the okra into 1/2 inch pieces.
3 -Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat fry okra until it gets brown spots. Once done, place it into a bowl and keep aside.
4- In the same pan you fried okra, heat little more oil. Add bay leaf and let it fry for 5 seconds then add cumin ,asetofida cook for 5 seconds and then add in the chopped tomatoes and sauté until tender. Once you notice the tomatoes have turned soft; add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
5 -When the tomatoes are tender add in the bhindi and salt to taste.
6-Cover the pan with its lid slightly ajar and cook in its steam until the bhindi is tender but still has a bite (dont overcook ). Do make sure to keep stirring it occasionally. This process takes a good 6-8 minutes.
7-As the tomatoes will release its liquids and this will cause the bhindi to turn mushy; hence we keep its lid open so the excess moisture evaporates.
8-Stir well until all the ingredients ( mango powder, garam masala ) are well combined and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes with its lid open. Turn off the heat and transfer the Bhindi Tamatar Ki Sabzi to a serving dish.
Optional -Add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi), if using, and chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
Serve warm with boiled rice or bread. Enjoy !!
- Payal Chatterjee on Chickpea Flour Tofu Curry – Burmese Tofu Curry: “I tried this recipe, but substituted cashews with peanuts, worked pretty well! It was yummy, will surely make it again…” Aug 12, 01:17
- Neha's Vegan Kitchen on Aloo Paratha – Gluten free: “Hi Shruti, you can replace the gum with Psyllium Husk but watch the water. The dough tends to be a…” Jan 19, 12:53
- Shruti on Aloo Paratha – Gluten free: “Hey Neha, thanks for sharing this recipe. I had been craving for aloo paranthas. Can I replace xantham gum with…” Jan 3, 00:35
Creamy vegan Alfredo sauce - served with gluten free pasta
September 30, 2021
Vegan Vegetable Biryani
September 29, 2021
CHOCOLATE CAKE - best ever vegan and gluten free cake
September 2, 2021
Besan ladoos - Classic Indian Dessert
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Stir-Fried Vegetarian rice Noodles -Hawker Style August 6, 2018 Rice noodles are a weekly fix in my kitchen ,If there is any leftover kids take it for lunch at school. This simple stir-fry is a dish to throw together…
- Black eye peas curry -chawli - Lobia sabji November 16, 2020 This is perfect for a middle of the week dinner when I am bored eating the many vegetables. This curry is cooked in a spicy onion tomato gravy, and I am sure you will make…