Savory Lentil cupcakes !! Gujarati Handvo cupcake remix
These savory lentil cupcakes are probably the most healthy recipe I have worked on. It is a modern twist to a traditional handhvo / Gujarati lentil cake recipe.
Savory lentil cupcakes are definitely on the healthier side of recipes in Indian cuisine. It is a modern twist to a traditional handhvo or Gujrati lentil cake recipe, and this version makes it easy for everyone of all ages to enjoy it as a snack or even maybe for lunch.
The "cupcake" is full of nutrients and is a plant-based protein-packed cupcake. The texture and appearance are very similar to any popular cupcake recipe. Still, this savory cake has to offer a lot more health benefits than a sugar-loaded dessert. I like to eat it for breakfast with tea or coffee, and I usually prepare it the day before. It makes my life easier in the early morning, and I heat it for 1-2 minutes in the microwave before serving. The savory Lentil cupcake can be served with hot sauce or ketchup, but I like to eat it with spicy green chutney. In addition, you can also help it with a combination of green chutney and hot sauce.
This recipe can be a little overwhelming, especially for beginners, so here are a few of my tips to make it a more effortless experience.
1. First, I have altered the recipe and added zucchini instead of bottle guard or lauki as needed for the traditional recipe. You can also add pumpkin, sweet potato, etc.
2. I have used eno fruit salt and baking soda for hastening the fermentation process.
3. Ground the lentil to a thick batter with less water while blending.
The recipe is generally served for breakfast but can be easily adapted for evening tea-time snacks or appetizers.
Savory Lentil cupcakes
1 cup rice
½ cup chana dal
¼ cup toor dal
2 tbsp urad dal
½ cup vegan curd
1 cup zucchini grated
½ cup cabbage, grated
¼ cup carrot, grated
3 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
½ tsp ginger paste
1 green chili, finely chopped
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tsp oil
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp eno / fruit salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
few curry leaves
1. Soak 1 cup rice, ½ cup chana dal, ¼ cup toor dal, 2 tbsp urad dal for 3-4 hours or overnight
2. Drain the water, add ½ cup vegan curd and 1/2 cup water, and blend to a smooth but slightly coarse paste.
3. Next, add 1 cup grated zucchini, ½ cup grated cabbage, ¼ cup grated carrot, and 3 tbsp coriander.
4. Finally, add ½ tsp ginger paste, one green chili, ½ tsp sugar, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric, 2 tsp oil, and ¾ tsp salt.
5. Mix well, making sure the batter is slightly thick, cupcake batter consistency.
6. Now add 1 tsp eno / fruit salt and baking soda mix gently.
7. Bake the handvo in cupcake mold at 350 degrees for 20 min.
8. Let is cool and prepare the tempering on the side.
9. Arrange cupcakes in a tray and add the tempering on top.
10. Serve with your choice of hot sauce or ketchup or our house favorite green coriander chutney. Enjoy !!!!
September 30, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Gujarati Dal - Sweet spicy lentil soup May 11, 2021 This dal is one of those lentil recipes that I make many times as we simply love it in our house especially my daughter. Give her a bowl of this piping hot…
- Lentil Vegetable Pie January 18, 2018 Lentils provide the body with complete vegetable protein. I love this dish because it is nutritious and satisfying, and I like to serve it with cilantro chutney and little vegan…