The dish I missed most when I became vegan was this curry The word I missed most when I became vegan was this curry actually called Kadhi.
It is a spicy yogurt curry made with besan ( chickpea flour ).
Kadhi is one of the most popular recipes in north India.
Every region has its own way of making it, and believe me, every Kadhi recipe is unique to the area, and they are all absolutely delicious.
No pakoda or vegetables are added to this Kadhi. It is like a spicy, sour, tangy thin soup.
For making kadhi Prefer to use a slightly bigger and wide pan as it tends to boil and can spillover from a small pan
The ingredients are very few and basic, are readily available in each and every Indian kitchen.
Some people love to add radish slices and few potatoes in it. But usually, it is made without adding any vegetables.
Vegan yogurt has come a long way, and I can make this now with vegan coconut yogurt -so delicious unsweetened works best, and it tastes even better than the dairy version.
I have fooled a few nonvegan people with it .
This curry and rice are so so good .....For me, this is comfort food like no other
1 cup coconut yogurt
2 and 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 green chillis, crushed or sliced
6-8 curry leaves (kari patta leaves)
1-2 tsp lemon juice
For the tempering:
1 tsp olive oil oil
¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
4-6 fenugreek seeds (methi)
1″ cinnamon stick (taj)
3-4 cloves (laving)
6-8 curry leaves (kari patta, limdi)
A generous pinch of asafetida
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Preparation of the Kadhi:
1. Mix coconut yogurt, water, and chickpea flour( Besan ) till you get a smooth liquid. Use a whisk or blender.
2 . Pour the liquid into a saucepan and mix well.
3 . Keeping the flame on low, stir for 5 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil. Keep a constant stir, or else the curd may curdle. Add green chilies and Kari leaves.
4 . Continue to boil for 15-20 minutes on medium flame, stirring occasionally.
5. Further, add 1 cup water, adjusting consistency as required.
6 . Now add 1/2 tsp salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
7 . Lower the heat, let the kadhi simmer. Stir it occasionally. Let it simmer on low heat for 8-10 minutes. By now, the Kadhi will have a little thick and creamy.
Preparation of the tempering:
1. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.
2. Add fenugreek seeds, cloves, whole red chilly
3 . Then add mustard and cumin seeds.
4. Add the curry leaves and asafetida.
5. Mix well.
6. Pour the tempering over the Kadhi.
7. Add the chopped coriander and serve hot Kadhi with white rice or khichadi
I used 2½ cups of water as we don’t like a very thick kadhi.
Stir the Kadhi frequently to get a homogeneous consistency.
Add spices according to your taste.
Add curry leaves to the simmering Kadhi imparts curry leaves flavor.
Use the same recipe to make a vegan pakora kadhi. Actually called Kadhi, and it is a spicy yogurt curry made with besan ( chickpea flour ).
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
May 11, 2021
May 4, 2021
You May Also Like
- Vegan Coconut soup - Tom Kha Gai January 26, 2018 Tom Kha gai or coconut soup is a spicy and sour coconut soup.The hardest part of making this soup is finding the ingredients.You can almost make a meal out of…
- Easter Eggs Vegan Marshmallow Treats !! March 31, 2018 If the Easter bunny was laying an egg would it be as colorful ?. If only .....That 's what imagination does ,opens doors to fun ideas. This Easter treat is…
- Vegan Stuffed Shells with spinach and almond ricotta cheese September 20, 2018 I hope you love these Vegan Stuffed Shells. They are Crowd-pleasing , famliy and kids approved Savory filling & rich tasting oh-so-satisfying !!