The dish I missed most when I became vegan was this curry actually called Kadhi . It is a spicy yogurt curry made with besan ( chick pea flour ).
Kadhi is one of the most popular recipes in north India . Every region has it sown way of making it and believe me every Kadhi recipe is unique to the region and they are all absolutely delicious .
No pakoda or vegetables are added in this kadhi . It is like a spicy ,sour tangy thin soup .For making kadhi Prefer to use a slightly bigger and wide pan as it tend to boil and can spill over from a small pan
The ingredients are very few and basic,are easily available in each and every Indian kitchen. Some people love to add radish slices and few potatoes in it. But usually it is made with out adding any vegetable.
Vegan yogurt has come a long way and I can make this now with vegan coonut yogurt -so delicious unsweetend works best and it tastes even better than the dairy version of it . I have fooled a few non vegan people with it .
This curry and rice so so good .....For me this is comfort food like no other .
1 cup coconut yogurt
2 and 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 green chillis, crushed or sliced
6-8 curry leaves (kari patta leaves)
1-2 tsp lemon juice
For the tempering:
1 tsp olive oil oil
¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
4-6 fenugreek seeds (methi)
1″ cinnamon stick (taj)
3-4 cloves (laving)
6-8 curry leaves (kari patta, limdi)
A generous pinch of asafetida
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Preparation of the kadhi:
1. Mix coconut yogurt, water and chickpea flour( Besan ) till you get a smooth liquid. Use a whisk or blender.
2 .Pour the liquid into a sauce pan and mix well.
3 .Keeping the flame on low, stir for 5 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil . Keep a contant stir or else the curd may curdle . Add green chillies and kari leaves .
4 .Continue to boil for 15-20 minutes on medium flame stirring occasionally.
5. Further, add 1 cup water adjusting consistency as required.
6 .Now add 1/2 tsp salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
7 .Lower the heat, let the kadhi simmer. Stir it occasionally. Let it simmeron low heat for 8-10 minutes. By now the kadhi will havea little thick and creamy.
Preparation of the tempering:
1. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.
2. Add fenugreek seeds, cloves, whole red chilly
3 .Then add mustard and cumin seeds.
4. Add the curry leaves and asafetida.
5. Mix well.
6. Pour the tempering over the kadhi.
7. Add the chopped coriander and serve hot kadhi with white rice or khichadi
I used 2½ cups of water as we don’t like a very thick kadhi.
Stir the kadhi frequently to get a homogeneous consistency.
Add spices according to your taste.
Add curry leaves to the simmering kadhi imparts curry leaves flavor.
Use the same recipe to make a vegan pakora kadhi.
February 12, 2021
November 16, 2020
October 22, 2020
October 14, 2020
You May Also Like
- Vegan Coconut soup - Tom Kha Gai January 26, 2018 Tom Kha gai or coconut soup is a spicy and sour coconut soup.The hardest part of making this soup is finding the ingredients.You can almost make a meal out of…
- Easter Eggs Vegan Marshmallow Treats !! March 31, 2018 If the Easter bunny was laying an egg would it be as colorful ?. If only .....That 's what imagination does ,opens doors to fun ideas. This Easter treat is…
- Vegan Stuffed Shells with spinach and almond ricotta cheese September 20, 2018 I hope you love these Vegan Stuffed Shells. They are Crowd-pleasing , famliy and kids approved Savory filling & rich tasting oh-so-satisfying !!