The dish I missed most when I became vegan was this curry - Kadhi ( pronounced Ka-dheee )as it's called traditionally.
It is a spicy yogurt curry made with besan ( chickpea flour )
and is one of the most popular recipes in north India. This Creamy Vegan Coconut yogurt Curry is the BEST Kadhi recipe you will ever try.
All made in one pot; this easy vegan curry is incredibly flavorful, perfect for meal prep, budget-friendly, and one of our go-to weeknight dinners! The best kind of recipes are the ones that you keep making over and over again until you finally realize – this is one of my favorite recipes. That's this Vegan Kadhi, and without a doubt, it is our FAVOURITE recipe. If you have the key ingredients in vegan yogurt in our pantry, it's straightforward to make. And Everybody always comes back for seconds!
Every region has its way of making it, and believe me, every Kadhi recipe is unique to the area, and they are all delicious. This Rajasthani Kadhi is a delightful curry-based gravy made with vegan curd and gram flour and is sour and spicy. This mixture is spiced with fenugreek seeds and red chilies to add more flavor to the Kadhi.
The tempering is the game-changer in this recipe and adds so much flavor to this vegan yogurt curry.
This dish is excellent for any weather, and I especially like it with rice or khichdi.
Typically, no vegetables are added to this dish, but my mother sometimes added spinach pakoda ( fried gram flour dumpling ), but only on special occasions.
No pakoda or vegetables are added to this Kadhi, and it is like a spicy, sour, tangy thin soup.
For making kadhi Prefer to use a slightly bigger and wide pan as it tends to boil and can spillover from a small pan
What Makes this Chickpea Kadhi So Good?
It's packed with flavor: While the cooking process is simple, the flavors are out of this world. You'll feel like you're eating something that took all day to make (except it didn't!).
The ingredients are very few and bare, are readily available in every Indian kitchen.
Vegan yogurt has come a long way, and I make this now with vegan coconut yogurt -so delicious unsweetened works best. You can use other yogurt brands, but this one is tried and tested by us.
This curry and rice are so so good .....For me, this is comfort food like no other.
1 cup coconut yogurt
2 and 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp gram flour (besan flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 red chilly
6-8 curry leaves (kadhi patta leaves)
1-2 tsp lemon juice
For the tempering:
1 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
1″ cinnamon stick
6-8 curry leaves(kari patta,)
A generous pinch of asafetida
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Preparation of the Kadhi:
1. Blend coconut yogurt, water, chickpea flour (besan ), and salt in a blender until you get a smooth liquid.
2 . Pour the liquid into a saucepan and mix well.
3 . Keeping the flame on medium heat, stir for 5 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil. Keep a constant stir, or else the curd may curdle and curry leaves.
4 . Continue to boil for 15-20 minutes on medium flame, stirring occasionally and keeping an eye on the mixture as it tends to boil over.
5. Further, add 1 cup water, adjusting consistency as required.
6 . Lower the heat, let the kadhi simmer. Stir it occasionally, and let it simmer on low heat for 8-10 minutes. By now, the Kadhi will have a little thick and creamy.
Preparation of the tempering:
1. Heat oil in a small pan over low heat.
2. Add fenugreek seeds, cloves, whole red chilly
3 . Then add mustard and cumin seeds.
4. Add the curry leaves and asafetida.
5. Mix well.
6. Pour the tempering over the Kadhi.
7. Add the chopped coriander and serve hot Kadhi with white rice or khichadi
**Stir the Kadhi frequently to get a homogeneous consistency.
**Add spices according to your taste.
**Add curry leaves to the simmering Kadhi imparts curry leaves flavor.
**Use the same recipe to make a vegan pakora kadhi. Called Kadhi, and it is a spicy yogurt curry made with besan ( chickpea flour ).
September 30, 2021
September 29, 2021
September 2, 2021
July 16, 2021
You May Also Like
- Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies January 10, 2018 Everyone has a favorite chocolate chip cookie. My kids like the one I picked up from a local vegan bakery, so I didn't want to experiment with it, but once…
- Vegan Coconut soup - Tom Kha Gai January 26, 2018 Authentic Tom Kha Gai – a simple delicious recipe for one of Thailand’s most popular soups! Full of fragrant Thai ingredients like lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, and galanga root,…
- Spicy Cauliflower Bites Vegan- Gluten free March 19, 2018 These bites are inspired by chicken bites that I always see at Super Bowl parties . I wanted to create an alternative for vegans and gluten free folks . This…