Kale Fritters .
Kale is loved by all in our house except my son, so I had to come up with a recipe that would be a hit with this sometimes fussy teenage eater. I have made these kale fritters or kale pakodas, as we call it, three times in a row and everytime I decide to take pictures and post something about them; they are gone before I get a chance to do that!!
They are super popular with all age groups. It is especially delicious on a rainy day with a cup of masala tea. I use baby kale in this recipe because I feel that it fries better and has a little less water content then the traditional kale. The flour and water is just barely there to coat the kale; the less the coating, the crispier the fritters. We serve it in our house with our favorite hot sauce that is made up of 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup siracha. I have used the same frying pan for 14 years and you will see its age in the pic below but the idea is to find a deep set small pan so there is little wastage of oil.
5 ounces baby kale
1 cup garbanzo flour
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red chili powder
Oil to fry ( I prefer non GMO canola )
1. In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients except water and mix them well; you can adjust the red chili according to your taste buds.
2. Slowly add the water and mix it well, gently coating the kale with the mixture.
3. Put the oil in a deep set pan and heat it up. The oil should be hot but not smoking.
4. Put a little drop of the mixture in the oil to see if it is ready. If it comes up without sticking to the bottom; the oil is ready.
5. Slowly add the kale to the oil and fry gently on both sides, about twenty to twenty five seconds on each side turn them over and cook another 25 seconds , until they are golden brown. take one out and try, be careful they are burning hot when the come out . They should be crispy and not soft or musshy when you break one apart.
6. Put a paper towel out on a plate and put the fritters on it. Wipe the extra oil and serve them hot with your prefered hot sauce. Enjoy!!!
February 12, 2021
November 16, 2020
October 22, 2020
October 14, 2020
You May Also Like
- Potato Kale and Spinach curry!! August 15, 2020 This curry recipe is vegan gluten free and healthy ,mildly spiced so that flavors of spinach and kale and potato shine through .By using frozen greens its a great way to eat the greens…